Leiston: Aaron Crawford jailed for stamping on unconscious victim’s head

Aaron Crawford

Aaron Crawford - Credit: Archant

A man has been jailed for 32 months for an attack a police officer described as the worst he had seen in 21 years’ service.

Aaron Crawford, 21, stamped on Wayne Hurren’s head after he was punched unconscious by Crawford’s brother Jake in an assault in Leiston.

Aaron Crawford, of Garrett Crescent, Leiston, had admitted intentionally wounding Mr Hurren after he became embroiled in a dispute with several young males.

Crawford was among six people with previous convictions, including his 17-year-old brother, who were sentenced by Ipswich Crown Court for their parts in the incident on January 12.

Mr Hurren spent four days in hospital after sustaining a broken jaw which required surgery. He also had to have five teeth removed and required stitches to his head and ear.

After Crawford’s sentencing Mr Hurren’s wife Samantha, who witnessed the attack, said: “At the time he was unconscious I honestly thought he was going to die there and then on the pavement.”

The couple have since separated with Mrs Hurren saying: “It destroyed our lives as a married couple.”

Most Read

Sergeant Mark Beresford, of Leiston’s safer neighbourhood team said: “The CCTV images of the assault on Mr Hurren are probably the worst I have seen in my 21 years as a police officer.”

He added he was surprised at some of the individuals involved as it was out of character for them to be caught up in such an incident.

At their sentencing prosecutor Lori Tucker said trouble erupted at around 1.15am. It led to Jake Crawford, formerly of Leiston, but now of Norwich Road, Ipswich, punching Mr Hurren to the head, knocking him unconscious in Leiston High Street.

While Mr Hurren lay motionless Aaron Crawford stamped on his head.

Mrs Tucker said: “While it might be said Mr Hurren was the author of his own misfortune by chasing after them (some of the males), what happened afterwards was excessive by anybody’s standards.”

Steven Dyble, for Aaron Crawford, said his client had been provoked, but felt genuine remorse and had written a letter apologising to Mr Hurren.

Adam Pearson, for Jake Crawford, said the teenager admitted throwing two punches, one of which had knocked Mr Hurren unconscious, but also cited a degree of provocation.

Judge David Goodin said Mr Hurren had been drunk and exhibited behaviour that might have been alarming to the defendants.

Jake Crawford, who admitted actual bodily harm, was sentenced to an 18-month youth rehabilitation order with a 12-week curfew.

Liam Cook, 17, of Ancaster Road, Ipswich, who admitted affray, was given an 18-month youth rehabilitation order, and a 12-week curfew.

Robiul Islam, 18, of Garrett Crescent, Leiston was given four months’ detention in a young offenders institution for threatening behaviour.

Keiran O’Sullivan, 20, of Carr Avenue, Leiston, and Brandon Crook, 18, of Old School Close, Leiston, were each given a 12-month community order and ordered to do 100 hours’ unpaid work after pleading guilty to threatening behaviour.