Leiston earn FA Cup replay

Leiston named an unchanged side to the one that defeated Lowestoft in the Ridgeons League Cup on Tuesday for this afternoon's FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round tie against Lewes at Victory Road.

Leiston Town 1, Lewes 1

LEISTON secured an unlikely replay after holding conference side Lewes to a draw at home in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round tie against Lewes at Victory Road today.

The Suffolk side, who have only been beaten once this season, were in buoyant mood ahead of the biggest game in the club's 127- year history against their visitors who are bottom of the Blue Square Premier.

In a frantic opening Leiston keeper Stannard came off his line to block a shot on the turn from Cox after just three minutes.

The visitors should have taken the lead in the 14th minute when Goldfinch tripped Taylor but Cox struck his penalty high over the cross bar.

Leiston suffered a big blow in the 18th minute when Bramble limped off injured to be replaced by Chenery.

Most Read

A minute later Boardley and Rowland were booked following a scuffle and two minutes after that Leiston full back Wardley was cautioned for a foul on Bell.

Lewes took the lead in the 23rd minute when Cox got clear through the middle and struck a well hit left foot shot beyond Stannard and into the bottom far corner of the net.

Leiston rallied in the five added on minutes at the end of the first half when Cunningham cut in from the left and Banks spilled his low drive and a minute later McGlone's goal bound lob was headed clear with the keeper out of position.

Half time: Leiston 0, Lewes 1.

There was a sensational start to the second period when Leiston equalised in the opening minute.

Head's probing ball over the defence found Cunningham wide on the left and his cross struck the inside of the far post and then the keeper before entering the net for the equaliser.

Wallis-Tayler shot over the bar after Stannard had punched clear a dangerous cross in the 54th minute.

The visitors made a couple of substitutions in an effort to win the match in front of a ground record crowd of 847 - more than twice the record created at the previous round's match against Coalville Town.

Taylor went close with an over head kick with eight minutes remaining but his effort was straight at Stannard, before two minutes later, McGlone's low cross saw efforts by Saker and Cunningham blocked by the Lewes defence.

Neither side was able to score a winner in the four minutes of added time so the two teams will replay in East Sussex on Tuesday night.

Leiston: Stannard, Girling, W ardley, Head, Goldfinch, Lowe, Cunningham, Boardley, Bramble, McGlone and Saker. Substitutes: Chenery, Sillett, Button Trotter, Morphew and Ellis.

Lewes: Banks, Barness, Wallis-Tayler, Cullip, Breach, Keehan, Taylor, Rowland, Cox, Bell, and Thomas. Substitutes: Wheeler, Wilkinson, Elliott, Beda, and Barton.

Referee: Mr N Kinseley

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter