Leiston: Tesco bosses submit store plans for Abbey Road site
SUPERMARKET giant Tesco has now handed in its controversial proposals for a store in a Suffolk town.
The retailer is looking to develop a site next to Jewson in Abbey Road, Leiston.
A planning application has now been tabled to Suffolk Coastal District Council for a 20,000 sq ft store and business park.
Bosses claim the supermarket will generate around 200 jobs, while also providing significant investment for the town.
Louise Gosling, from Tesco, said: “We are pleased to have submitted plans for a new store in Leiston. We have looked at all the available places in the town, and our planning experts advise that the Abbey Road site is the best possible location.
You may also want to watch:
“We have consulted closely with local residents and have been delighted with the level of support received.”
The application also includes proposals for six business units, 250 car parking spaces, recycling facilities and improved footpaths to the town centre. Tesco has said it wants to recruit staff as locally as possible – teaming up with Job Centre Plus in Sizewell Road to provide training and support.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 7 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
Many people have raised concerns about the plans – including a number of local traders who fear the out of town store will take footfall away from the main shopping area.
To contact Tesco about the plans e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 822 0757.