Leiston: Well known couple celebrating diamond anniversary
FORMER council leader John Geater and his wife June are celebrating their diamond wedding.
The couple were married at St Margaret’s Church in Leiston on November 22, 1952, and have lived in Westward Ho in the town ever since.
Mr Geater, 83, was a teacher for many years at Leiston High School and at Kesgrave.
He was also a founder member of Suffolk Coastal District Council from its formation in 1973, and was chairman of the council in 1985/86.
He sat as a Conservative on the council until the elections in May 2011. By the time he stood down he had been a Suffolk Coastal councillor for 34 years, having spent four years off the council from 1995 to 1999 when a Labour/LibDem coalition ran the authority. He was also chairman of Leiston Town Council three times.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Geater, 81, ran the family business – an egg and fruit farm – for many years. The couple have four children and six grandchildren. They are celebrating their anniversary with a party for the family at the weekend.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain