More than a thousand homes without power after huge storm sweeps in
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of homes are without power after a massive storm swept across Suffolk and Essex
Harwich was the first to feel the force of the storm before it worked its way up the coast and into Suffolk.
The power cuts were reported after huge thunderstorms crawled across the county at around 9pm this evening.
Homes in Ipswich, Holbrook, Kesgrave, Bildeston, Woolpit, Elmswell, Melton, Woodbridge, Coddenham and Westerfield are known to be without power.
UK power networks say that the cuts have been caused by faults in high voltage overhead electricity lines which engineers have been called to fix.
Areas known to have power losses include
- 950 homes in 20 postcodes including south parts of Ipswich, Holbrook, Kesgrave, Bildeston, Woolpit and Elmswell.
- 280 homes around Melton and Woodbridge
- 1 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 2 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 3 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 4 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 5 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 6 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 7 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 8 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 9 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 10 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk ahead of Storm Barra's arrival
- 160 homes are without power in the Coddenham and Westerfield areas.