Serious disruption on train services into London from East Anglia
- Credit: Archant
Greater Anglia and Network Rail have fought signalling problems, freight train faults and “tent-like structures” to keep trains running on the mail line to London.
The latest issue on the rails was a “tent-like structure” between Witham and Kelvedon.
Greater Anglia warned that train services running through these stations are returning to normal but some services may still be delayed by up to 30 minutes or revised, with disruption expected until at least 3pm.
One of the earlier problems will affect anyone travelling by train from East Anglia into London today, with signalling issues causing cancellations at Liverpool Street station.
As a result, trains may be stopped at Stratford or branch line stops may be missed in a bid to keep trains moving on the network.
Greater Anglia said: “Due to signalling problems at London Liverpool Street some lines are blocked.
“Train services running to and from this station may be cancelled, delayed by up to 10 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until further notice.”
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 3 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 4 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 5 Paramedics called after tree falls on car in east Suffolk
- 6 From Celina to Mariner - the best goals ever scored at Portman Road
- 7 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 8 Triple murder accused appears in court
- 9 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 10 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
The problem is now fixed but there was disruption expected on the trains until at least 12.30pm.
The second problem was a freight train fault at Witham earlier on April 27. It has now cleared but there are further warnings of delays and disruption.
On their JourneyCheck website, Greater Anglia said: “Following a fault on a freight train earlier at Witham, the line towards Witham, Braintree and Colchester is open.
“Services running through this station may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until further notice.”
Greater Anglia and Network Rail have both apologised for the disruption caused by the faults.
Specific train service alterations are available here on the Greater Anglia JourneyCheck website, though not all alterations or cancellations are recorded on weekends.
Advance purchase tickets holders will be allowed to travel on earlier or later trains if their booked service is cancelled.
If your journey is delayed by 15 minutes or more, you may be entitled to compensation for a portion of your fare through the newly-expanded Delay Repay 15 scheme from Greater Anglia.