Lorry crash driver ‘tearful’ over injuries caused in A120 crash

Serious crash on the A120 between Coggeshall and Marks Tey, December 9. Picture: EEAST.

Serious crash on the A120 between Coggeshall and Marks Tey, December 9. Picture: EEAST. - Credit: Archant

A lorry driver whose failure to brake in time caused this accident has been ordered to pay £935 and given six penalty points.

Serious crash on the A120 at Little Tey, December 9 2014. Picture: EEAST

Serious crash on the A120 at Little Tey, December 9 2014. Picture: EEAST - Credit: Archant

Kevin Mann, 51, was driving along the A120 at Broad Green towards Braintree when he ploughed into the back of traffic queuing to turn right at a junction.

The car in front of him, a Volkswagen Golf driven by Miss Holt was forced under the trailer of an articulated lorry before her in the queue.

Colchester Magistrates’ Court was shown pictures of the aftermath of the crash, and also told a Seat Ibiza and a Toyota Hilux were also involved in the incident.

Mann, of Coach Road, Great Horkesley, had initially denied a charge of driving without due care and attention but changed his plea to guilty yesterday on the day of the trial after being shown a technical investigation report.

You may also want to watch:

Jessica Ward, prosecuting, said Miss Holt suffered a deep cut to her left eye and damage to the optic nerve, as well as breaking her skull, upper arm, shoulder joint and chipping two vertebrae.

Miss Ward added: “Rather fortunately Miss Holt has no recollection of what happened that day.

Most Read

“She was severely affected by what happened to her and was in hospital for a considerable amount of time.”

A police investigation of Mann’s tachograph revealed he had not braked in time, ruling out that ice was a factor.

The court was told temperatures on the morning of the crash, on December 12, were below -1.5 Centigrade, and that Mann was travelling below the 40mph speed limit for his size of lorry.

Mann, employed by Colchester Skip Hire, was breathalysed at the scene and no trace of alcohol was found. There was also no suggestion he had been distracted by a mobile phone or other device, the court heard.

Tom Gent, mitigating, told the court Mann was of previous good character, and had held a HGV licence since 1993 and had never been in an accident before.

Mr Gent said: “He is extremely upset, and has been through-out this process, that this collision occurred.

“He is devastated by the impact on the victim and desperately sorry for the injuries suffered.

“He is genuinely remorseful, and was tearful this morning.”

Chairman of the bench Barry Hawes, sentencing, said: “This accident has resulted in some very serious injuries.

“This was due to insufficient attention to the road from Mann.”

Mann was ordered to pay a fine of £350, costs of £550 and a victim surcharge of £35, a total of £935.

He was also given six penalty points on his licence.

No order was made for compensation as a civil court claim was being organised by insurance companies.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus