Man accused of raping prostitute
A PROSTITUTE was knocked to the ground and raped in an alleyway by a man who did not have enough money to pay her for sex, it has been alleged.Jamie Garnham, 34, had agreed to pay the woman £20 to perform a sexual act on him but only gave her £15, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
A PROSTITUTE was knocked to the ground and raped in an alleyway by a man who did not have enough money to pay her for sex, it has been alleged.
Jamie Garnham, 34, had agreed to pay the woman £20 to perform a sexual act on him but only gave her £15, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
When the woman pointed out that he had not given her enough money he had grabbed the £15 back and told her he was going to have sex with her, said Joanne Eley, prosecuting.
Garnham had then pushed the woman to the ground in an alleyway near Elliott Street, Ipswich and allegedly raped her while she lay trapped underneath him.
You may also want to watch:
During the incident the woman pleaded with him to stop and told him that she had hepatitis C and Aids in a bid to get him off her, said Miss Eley.
At one stage she started to dial 999 on her mobile phone but was unable to complete dialling the number when Garnham realised what she was doing.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 7 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 8 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
When the attack came to an end the woman ran out of the alleyway and was seen in a distressed state by a local resident who had gone to investigate after hearing a woman shouting “get off” and a man saying “shut up”.
Garnham, of Richmond Road, Ipswich, has denied raping the woman in March.
Miss Eley said he was arrested by police in the area shortly after the alleged attack and appeared to have been drinking.
He allegedly told police: “Well how can it be rape - she is a prostitute?”
Miss Eley said that Garnham accepted having sexual intercourse with the woman but denied raping her.
Giving evidence the alleged victim said she had been working as a prostitute in the Portman Road area of Ipswich because she was short of money.
On the night in question she had been wearing a short black skirt, black boots and a jacket over a black top.
She was approached by Garnham in Handford Road and it was agreed that he would pay her £20 to perform a sex act on him.
The trial continues today