Man fights off knife raiders with chair
A MAN in his 70s forced knife-wielding raiders from his home with a chair.
A BRAVE man in his 70s forced raiders armed with a knife from his home with a chair.
The two burglars, thought to be men, were wearing dark clothing and ski masks when they broke into the couple’s home in Downs Place in Haverhill around 7.15pm on Friday night.
The man was pushed to the floor and the woman tried to call the police but had the phone taken from her.
But the burglars were pushed from the house by the man using a chair before running off towards Crowland Road.
You may also want to watch:
The couple were left extremely shaken by the attack and the man suffered minor bruising.
The only item stolen was the telephone handset.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 5 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 9 Comedian Jack Whitehall visits Suffolk's 'most incredible' Wilderness Reserve
- 10 'Absolutely the right manager for this football club' - Ashton backs Cook to turn Town around
Detective Sergeant Ann Naylor of Suffolk police, said: “This type of incident is extremely rare, and the couple are being supported by police and the local community as they recover from their ordeal.
“Whilst we would not recommend anyone putting themselves at risk by challenging offenders, the couple were very brave in forcing these people out of their house.
“I would urge anyone with any information about this incident to come forward.”
A man was seen at the top of the stairs that provide access to Downs Place shortly after the offenders left the house.
He dropped and then picked up something before running towards Crowland Road.
This man is described as white, around 25 years old, of slim build, between 5ft 6 ins and 6ft tall, and bald with a thin, pointy face.
He appeared agitated and was wearing a light coloured padded jacket.
Anyone with information can call Detective Sergeant Ann Naylor at West Suffolk CID on 01284 774100 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.