Man jailed after being caught with knife following restaurant disturbance
- Credit: Su Anderson
A man found with a knife in his pocket after a restaurant disturbance in Colchester town centre has been jailed.
Simon King, 56, of Crouch Street, Colchester, was jailed for six months at Chelmsford Crown Court on Monday after pleading guilty to possession of a knife in a public place.
Essex Police were called about a disturbance at a restaurant in High Street around 11.40pm on Sunday, June 17 last year.
King was seen walking away from the restaurant and was detained. During a search, officers found a knife with a locking mechanism in his pocket.
The knife was seized and will now be destroyed.
You may also want to watch:
Chief Inspector Rob Huddleston, district commander for Colchester, said: "This sentence sends out a clear message that if you carry a knife, you will be stopped, searched and arrested.
"My officers are out every day looking for criminals who carry knives. In this case, King claimed he was simply carrying a craft knife and never intended to use it to injury and threaten someone.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 8 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 9 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 10 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
"However, he still went out in public and had a dangerous weapon on him. There are simply no excuses and he will now face the consequences of his actions."