Man quizzed after two women raped
DETECTIVES were questioning a man last night in connection with the rape of two women within an hour of each other in a Suffolk town.
DETECTIVES were questioning a man last night in connection with the rape two women within an hour of each other in a Suffolk town.
The two victims - one in her 20s and one in her 30s - were attacked in separate incidents Brandon in the early hours of yesterday, say police.
They happened in different areas of the town between 12.30am and 1.30am - one in the playing fields near the sports centre close to a pathway called The Avenue, the second at a basketball court off Mill Hill.
You may also want to watch:
Both incidents were reported separately to the police between 1am and 1.30am.
It is understood one of the women was walking home on her own, while the other was accompanied at the time of the attack.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
One of the victims needed hospital treatment at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge for injuries sustained during her terrifying ordeal. The second was given help and support by specially trained police officers.
Further details about the two incidents have not yet been released as both victims are being interviewed by specialist officers. However, it is understood one of the women is from Brandon.
Yesterday, police cordoned off the two areas while forensics officers and detectives searched for evidence.
Police also carried out house-to-house inquiries and additional officers were sent out to patrol the streets and speak with residents.
Police have arrested a 20-year-old man from Brandon on suspicion of both rapes. He was yesterday being held at Bury St Edmunds police station where he was interviewed by detectives.
Suffolk police has appealed for anybody with information to come forward.
A force spokeswoman said: “Police want to hear from anyone who was in the area of Mill Hill or The Avenue last night and may have seen or heard anything suspicious.”
Anybody with information should contact Suffolk police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.