Man survives bridge plunge
A MAN plunged off the Orwell Bridge in the early hours of today and escaped with few injuries, police say.Emergency services were called after a member of the public spotted somebody on the bridge.
A MAN plunged off the Orwell Bridge in the early hours of today and escaped with minor injuries, police say.
Emergency services were called at 12.10am after a member of the public spotted somebody on the middle of the bridge, peering over the side. When police officers attended about ten minutes later, they searched for the man on the bridge and discovered a car. On looking over the side, they then saw something in the water, which seemed to be a person.
The Harwich in-shore lifeboat and Holbrook Lifeboat were alerted, as well as the search and rescue helicopter from Wattisham, who all joined in the rescue operation.
A Suffolk Police spokeswoman said: “There was some evidence that the person was still alive. Officers on the ground could hear someone shouting.”
You may also want to watch:
Thermal imaging equipment was used to locate the man, who was then picked up by the coastguard and said to be “cold and conscious” and was then lifted up to the helicopter.
The helicopter then landed at a site near Copleston High School where he was transported to an ambulance which took him to Ipswich Hospital.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 6 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 7 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
It was initially thought he had a rib injury but it was later discovered he just had a “very slight” injury to his neck.
The police spokeswoman added: “He had no obvious injuries. He had a scan at hospital and was found to have a very slight injury to his neck.
“It was a real team effort to rescue him.”