Man tells of his lucky escape from fire
A MAN has told how he escaped from his burning bungalow after smoke alarms alerted him to a kitchen blaze.Darren Cooper, 37, had started cooking food on the stove at his home in Jaywick when he fell asleep.
By Annie Davidson
A MAN has told how he escaped from his burning bungalow after smoke alarms alerted him to a kitchen blaze.
Darren Cooper, 37, had started cooking food on the stove at his home in Jaywick when he fell asleep.
An hour later he was woken by the smoke alarms sounding and found the kitchen ablaze.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cooper tried to put out the flames himself before fleeing his Swift Avenue home and calling the fire brigade.
Crews from Clacton went to the scene at 7.10pm on Saturday and firefighters wearing breathing apparatuses extinguished the fire.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 4 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 5 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 6 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 7 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 8 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 10 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
Leading firefighter Kieran Warner said: “The important thing is that the reason he got out and was safe was because he did have a smoke detector fitted.
“It sounded an alarm which woke him up and he was up and out of the building when we got there.
“It shows the importance of smoke alarms.”
Mr Cooper, who has lived at the property for 18 months, said: “I am very pleased to have the smoke alarm and if I hadn't had one it might have been a different story.”