Attempted car jacking fails after thieves stall car
- Credit: Archant
Holidaymakers in Bury St Edmunds were left shaken after a man attempted to steal their taxi booked to take them to the airport.
The group of four were getting into a taxi booked for Stansted Airport at Blackthorn Walk/Boby Road around 5.40am on yesterday when two men approached the vehicle.
One of the men distracted the taxi driver, who was putting luggage into the minibus, while the other got behind the wheel.
The man stalled the bus and the two men then left the scene.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said: “An incident took place with a taxi driver who had gone to pick up passengers.
You may also want to watch:
“When putting away luggage, he was approached by a man who engaged him in conversation.
“A second man then got into the driver’s seat of the vehicle and tried to drive it off.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 4 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
- 10 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
“From what we understand, the vehicle stalled.”
Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact Suffolk police on 101, quoting crime reference 24/96/19.
Alternatively, information can be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.