Man who ran away from police in Bury St Edmunds denies possession of cannabis with intent to supply

Ipswich Crown Court

Ipswich Crown Court - Credit: Archant

A man found in possession of two bags of skunk cannabis weighing more than 70g has denied intending to supply the drug.

Police officers on patrol in Salter Close, Bury St Edmunds saw Oliver Clements sitting in the passenger seat of a car outside his home and tried to detain him and the driver for a drug search, Ipswich Crown a Court heard.

Lynne Shirley, prosecuting, said the driver had run off and Clements had allegedly attempted to escape by running into his own property.

He was pursued by the officers, arrested and taken to a local police station. When his house was searched officers found two bags of skunk cannabis - one weighing 28g and the other weighing 43g, said Miss Shirley.

She said officers also found handwritten lists and text messages on Clements’ mobile phone which she claimed both related to drug dealing.

Clements, 23, of Salter Close, Bury St Edmunds, has denied possessing cannabis with intent to supply on July 15 last year and possessing criminal property, namely £245 cash.

The court has heard that at an earlier hearing Clements admitted obstructing a police officer.

Most Read

Miss Shirley said there was no issue that Clements was in possession of the cannabis and the jury would have to decide if he was intending to supply the drug to anyone else.

She said that when Clements was searched he was found in possession of some electronic scales which he claimed he used to make sure he wasn’t short changed when he was buying drugs.”We say they were used to weigh out drugs to prepare them for sale,” said Miss Shirley.

Clements claimed he had been on his way to buy cannabis when the police tried to detain him and he had run off because he had the electronic scales on him.

He claimed he had been planning to buy drugs with the £245 found in his possession. He also claimed the cannabis seized by police had been for his own use and that he hadn’t intended to supply the drugs.

The trial continues today.