Martlesham Heath: Couple take on charity role with Meningitis UK after losing tiny Taylor
martlesham heath: A couple who lost their nine-month-old son to the deadly brain bug meningitis have today become ambassadors for a national charity which aims to beat the disease.
In their new roles for Meningitis UK, Mark and Jenny Smith, of Sadlers Place, Martlesham Heath, offer support to other parents in their bid to help the charity raise vital funds to find a cure to beat the disease.
Their son Taylor Westley-Smith died in March 2009 after the bug was mistaken for chicken pox.
Since losing Taylor, his devastated parents have raised more than �24,000 for the charity they now represent.
Mr Smith said: “We honestly thought we would never get over this loss and couldn’t see any light at the end of the tunnel or any way of easing the pain.
“The support we have received so far from our family and friends has been unbelievable and we are very thankful to have these people in our lives.”
Since losing Taylor the couple have had two more children, Erin who is two and seven-month-old Morgan – and both have Taylor as their middle name.
- 1 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 2 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 3 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 4 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 5 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 6 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
- 7 'I'm not bothered... he can go' - Pearson on Town target Bakinson
- 8 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 9 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
- 10 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
As part of their role as ambassadors, the couple will be on hand to deliver awareness talks to community groups and schools, provide awareness information about meningitis, organise and support local fundraising events, represent the charity and hold collections.
Carrying on their fundraising challenge, the couple are organising their next event, a quiz at Felixstowe Cricket Club in Dellwood Avenue on July 6. Entry is �20 for teams of up to six people.
To contact Mark and Jenny Smith call them on 01473 611892 or Mark on his mobile 07833992707, or e-mail email@example.com
n Have you raised money in memory of a loved one? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org