Martlesham Heath: Marks and Spencer set to open major new food store
martlesham: Retail giant Marks and Spencer is set to open a new “Simply Food” supermarket during the first half of 2013.
It will create the supermarket out of most of the former Glasswell’s retail warehouse at Beardmore Park at Martlesham Heath.
The 15,000-square foot store will be one of the largest stand-alone food outlets in the country for the retailer – but its arrival at Martlesham is not expected to affect its town centre store in Ipswich.
Marks and Spencer has been increasing the emphasis on its food offer since former Morrison’s boss Mark Bolland became chief executive two years ago.
The store does not need planning permission for change of use, because there is already existing permission for retail use on the site. However it does need to get permission from Suffolk Coastal planners for new signs.
You may also want to watch:
While it will take up about three quarters of the former Glasswell’s site, its owners are hoping to find another tenant for the remaining 5,000 square foot store.
A spokeswoman for Marks and Spencer said: “We can confirm that we intend to open a new store at Martlesham Heath and further details will be published soon.”
- 1 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 2 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 3 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 4 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 5 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 How busy was Bury St Edmunds town centre as lockdown eased?
- 8 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 9 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 10 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
The application for the signs confirms it is for a “Simply Food” store which will be seen as a strong competitor for the new Waitrose superstore that opened on the eastern edge of Ipswich in November.
n Will the new Simply Food store be good for the area? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail star firstname.lastname@example.org