Martlesham Heath: Marks and Spencer set to open major new food store
martlesham: Retail giant Marks and Spencer is set to open a new “Simply Food” supermarket during the first half of 2013.
It will create the supermarket out of most of the former Glasswell’s retail warehouse at Beardmore Park at Martlesham Heath.
The 15,000-square foot store will be one of the largest stand-alone food outlets in the country for the retailer – but its arrival at Martlesham is not expected to affect its town centre store in Ipswich.
Marks and Spencer has been increasing the emphasis on its food offer since former Morrison’s boss Mark Bolland became chief executive two years ago.
The store does not need planning permission for change of use, because there is already existing permission for retail use on the site. However it does need to get permission from Suffolk Coastal planners for new signs.
While it will take up about three quarters of the former Glasswell’s site, its owners are hoping to find another tenant for the remaining 5,000 square foot store.
A spokeswoman for Marks and Spencer said: “We can confirm that we intend to open a new store at Martlesham Heath and further details will be published soon.”
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 6 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 7 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 8 West Suffolk's Covid rate rises to become highest in county
- 9 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 10 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
The application for the signs confirms it is for a “Simply Food” store which will be seen as a strong competitor for the new Waitrose superstore that opened on the eastern edge of Ipswich in November.
n Will the new Simply Food store be good for the area? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail star firstname.lastname@example.org