WATCH: Heated scenes at Suffolk election hustings involving health secretary Matt Hancock
- Credit: Archant
An election hustings involving health secretary Matt Hancock briefly descended into chaotic scenes.
Mr Hancock, who is Conservative candidate in the West Suffolk constituency, was speaking at the event in Haverhill when the debate provoked a barrage of heckling from the audience.
A video taken by one of the attendees shows a number of people in the crowd laughing when Mr Hancock said the Conservatives would increase the number of nurses working within the NHS by 50,000 - a figure disputed by other parties.
But it was when he moved on to address the Labour candidate, Claire Unwin, with claims of anti-semitism within her party, when things got heated.
There was booing and heckling, while some members of the audience stood up. A small number of people, however, could also be heard clapping.
You may also want to watch:
The hustings moderator then attempted to take the microphone from Mr Hancock - but he moved out of the way before using his hand to block the moderator from taking the microphone back.
The Health Secretary was talking at the event which took place in the Suffolk town yesterday (November 29).
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 7 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
It pitted the Conservative, Labour and Liberal Democrat candidates against each other in a question and answer style format.
Liberal Democrat Elfreda Tealby-Watson also spoke at the hustings event. Donald Allwright will also stand in West Suffolk for the Green Party.