Matt Hancock promises to visit Bury St Edmunds school once pandemic is over
- Credit: Brookes Uk
Health Secretary Matt Hancock has promised to visit Brookes school, in Bury St Edmunds, in person once the pandemic is over.
The West Suffolk MP met with teachers and senior students from the independent school via Zoom on Friday, February 28.
Graham Ellis, principal and academic director at Brookes School, said: “It was a superb experience for the students and staff.
“Mrs Natalie Wilson, our history teacher, wrote to Matt a few weeks ago and he accepted her invitation to do a Zoom call with our Years 7-11.”
Staff and students asked Mr Hancock plenty of questions, including ‘what will the government be doing to tackle wellbeing and mental health due to the pandemic?’
Mr Ellis said: “He answered with great diplomacy and also with great humour!”
The chat with Mr Hancock comes at a time when hundreds of schools across the region are preparing to welcome students back into classrooms from March 8.
- 1 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 2 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 3 Harper and El Mizouni made available for loan
- 4 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 5 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 6 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 7 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 8 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof
- 9 Young driver crashes car just a week after passing
- 10 Long delays on A12 after overturned tractor trailer