Mayor BoJo steps down as Henley's MP
NEWLY elected Mayor of London Boris Johnson is to resign today as MP for Henley, triggering a by-election in the Oxfordshire constituency.Conservative leader David Cameron is expected to table a writ later today for the by-election to be held within weeks, with June 26 the date thought most likely for the poll.
NEWLY elected Mayor of London Boris Johnson is to resign today as MP for Henley, triggering a by-election in the Oxfordshire constituency.
Conservative leader David Cameron is expected to table a writ later today for the by-election to be held within weeks, with June 26 the date thought most likely for the poll.
With a 12,793 margin of victory at the 2005 general election, Henley is one of the Conservatives' safest seats and defeat for Tory candidate John Howell would be a virtually unthinkable upset for Mr Cameron.
You may also want to watch:
But Liberal Democrats are already campaigning hard in the seat, where they feel their candidate Stephen Kearney can make a dent on the Tory majority. Also standing are Richard McKenzie for Labour, Mark Stevenson for the Greens and Chris Adams for UKIP.
The by-election comes hot on the heels of Labour's shock defeat at Crewe and Nantwich on May 22. But the party has trailed in third place in Henley since 1970 and the by-election offers little opportunity for Gordon Brown to turn the electoral tide in his favour.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 8 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 9 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 10 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre