Men are prosecuted by Health and Safety Executive for illegal gas boiler work in Exning
Two men have been fined for organising and carrying out illegal boiler work which led to a significant gas leak at a property in Exning.
Anthony Hylins, from Burwell, organised the installation of a gas boiler at the home between January and May last year after he had been contracted by the owners to build an extension. He sub-contracted the job to Mark Smith, from Newmarket, who was not Gas Safe registered.
The case was brought to Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court last Thursday following an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), the national regulator for workplace health and safety
The court heard Hylins knew Smith was not Gas Safe registered, but had expected him to attend the site with a registered engineer, who would oversee and sign-off on the work - a practice that is prohibited by Gas Safe.
A subsequent inspection by Gas Safe found serious safety flaws with Smith’s boiler installation, including a significant gas leak, the cover of the boiler had been fitted wrongly and the flue had not been sealed correctly.
You may also want to watch:
The appliance was made safe by a registered engineer.
Hylins, of Railway Close, was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay a £120 victim surcharge and £645.90 in costs after admitting breaching a gas safety regulation. Smith of Exeter Road, was fined £1000 and ordered to pay a £100 victim surcharge and £645.90 in costs after admitting breaching a section of the regulations.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 3 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 6 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 9 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 10 FA Youth Cup, semi-final - LIVE: Agbaje header puts Town ahead at half-time against Liverpool
After the hearing, HSE Inspector Ivan Brooke said: “HSE will not hesitate to investigate cases of unsafe and unregistered gas work and hold offenders to account. Householders should always ask for evidence of Gas Safe registration and/or check the Gas Safe Register online before allowing work on gas appliances.
“Gas work by people not competent to do so can expose people to the risk of fire/explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning.” Gas Safe Register can be contacted on 0800 408 5500 or visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk