Men arrested after street attack death
THREE men were arrested last night after a 36-year-old died following an early morning street attack in an Essex town.Police officers were called to the scene in Balkerne Passage in Colchester town centre by the ambulance service following reports of a man lying on the ground in the early hours of yesterday morning.
By Sharon Asplin
THREE men were arrested last night after a 36-year-old died following an early morning street attack in an Essex town.
Police officers were called to the scene in Balkerne Passage in Colchester town centre by the ambulance service following reports of a man lying on the ground in the early hours of yesterday morning.
The victim, from Oldham in Lancashire, was taken to Colchester General Hospital but died shortly after arrival.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Essex Police said the man was visiting friends in Colchester and was enjoying a night out when he became separated from his friends.
It is believed he was then “kicked and punched” in an assault shortly before 12.30am.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 5 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Motorcyclist in life-threatening condition after crash with parked cars
The police spokesman said: “We would urge anyone with any information about the attack or its motive to come forward to us as soon as possible.”
Essex Ambulance Service was called to Balkerne Passage, close to O' Neills Irish bar on North Hill, at 12.45am after reports a man was suffering from a head injury.
Initially one ambulance was sent but when it arrived the crew found the man in a state of cardiac arrest. They immediately started resuscitation attempts and called for back up.
A second ambulance and a rapid response vehicle arrived shortly afterwards.
An ambulance service spokesman said: "The man was put on the ambulance and taken on blue lights to Colchester General Hospital. Two extra ambulance staff from the other vehicles went with the ambulance as the crew tried to save the man.
"Unfortunately, despite their best efforts, and those of the staff at the hospital, it was not possible to save him and he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.”
A post mortem examination on the man's body could not determine a single cause of death so further tests could be required, which are expected to take several weeks.
Three men were arrested late last night in connection with the incident and were being questioned at Colchester police station.
Anyone with any information is asked to call Colchester police on 01206 762212 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.