Work begins on new space at Mercury Theatre
- Credit: Colchester Borough Council
Work has begun on an exciting new town centre public space, which is set to transform the area around the Mercury Theatre in Colchester.
The Balkerne Gate public realm project will create an inviting and welcoming entrance to the town centre and provide new opportunities for performance and open-air activities.
The redesigned area will incorporate a kerbless public realm, complete with new trees and seating.
Councillor Darius Laws, portfolio holder for economy, business & heritage, said: “I am both pleased and excited that work on the Balkerne Gate public realm project has finally started and is set to create a really vibrant and attractive gateway into the town centre."
Steve Mannix, executive director of The Mercury Theatre, said: “We are grateful to Colchester Borough Council for redesigning this area surrounding the Mercury."
The works is expected to be completed by late autumn.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 3 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 4 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 6 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 7 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 8 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 9 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 10 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk