WATCH: CCTV shows man apparently breaking into car
- Credit: Archant
Pictures of man appearing to try opening car doors and rummage around inside have sparked fears on social media.
A still image from a CCTV clip posted in the Colchester Community/Crime Group on Facebook was shared widely by several of its 22,800 members, who said they deplored of the man’s actions and encouraged people to spread the post in a bid to catch the culprit.
The owner of the CCTV, who asked to remain anonymous, later provided moving images from the CCTV from the incident at around 7pm on Tuesday, February 5 in Mersea Road, Colchester.
He says he has passed the footage to Essex Police, with officers looking into the incident.
An Essex Police spokesman said: “A Vauxhall Astra was broken into in Mersea Road, Colchester, at 7.10pm on February 5.
“Nothing was stolen. Witnesses are asked to call Colchester local policing team on 101 quoting reference 42/19894/19.”
Alternatively people can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 2 Major west Suffolk road reopens after lorry and car crash
- 3 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 6 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 7 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 8 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message
- 9 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 10 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment