‘One spark could give us a serious problem’ - Hot weather leads to more cancellations
- Credit: citizenside.com
The exceptionally warm weather has forced the cancellation of another Suffolk attraction over fire fears.
The Mid Suffolk Light Railway announced today it is suspending steam operations until “some significant rainfall” improves conditions.
Although the heritage railway site in Wetheringsett near Stowmarket will continue to operate its regular Sunday and bank holiday programme of events, it will be using diesel power only.
“The large wheat field adjacent to the railway’s main line is just like a tinder box”, said locomotive superintendent John Durrant.
“One spark in the wrong direction could give us a serious problem”.
You may also want to watch:
The Middy, as it is also known, will be reviewing its risk assessment relating to the increased fire risk posed by the long dry spell.
MORE: Could we see the hottest temperature EVER recorded in the UK this week?It comes after organisers of Suffolk Dog Day announced the cancellation of this year’s due to safety fears connected with the heat.
The event, now in its 11th year, was due to held at Helmingham Hall on Sunday, July 29.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
The team at Suffolk Community Foundation took the decision after hot weather sparked concerns about ground conditions in the region.
MORE: Suffolk Dog Day cancelled due to health concerns sparked by hot weatherThe Suffolk Wildlife Trust has confirmed also cancelled its ‘Campfire Cookout’ in Holywells Park, Ipswich, due to the weather.
To compensate for lack of steam day entry to the Middy be half price - adults £5, children £2, families £12 and concessions £4.