Chemical spillage forces newly-opened leisure centre to be evacuated
- Credit: Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service
A leisure centre in Mildenhall was evacuated following a chemical spillage in its plant room.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service received a callout to Mildenhall Hub, in Sheldrick Way, at 10.30am on Sunday.
A spokesman for the fire service confirmed five engines were at the scene of the spillage, while a further six appliances are on standby.
However, a stop was called shortly after 2pm after the spillage was contained.
Mildenhall Hub, which is home to an Abbeycroft Leisure gym, swimming pool, library and school, has gradually opened in recent weeks as part of a scheme to bring a number of public services under one roof.
You may also want to watch:
The centre's official opening is due to held on Friday.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 4 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 5 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 8 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 9 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 10 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina