Morris 8: First car snapped up for £5 after the war
- Credit: Archant
John Morton, of Ipswich, tells us about his Morris 8
He said: “My first car was a pre-World War Two Morris 8. Which had been left in a garage for the duration of the war.
“The owner had died, and his widow sold me the car for £5.
“My friend and I removed it from garage and pushed it to the garage we both worked at, then proceeded to clean it up and get it working.”
The car was the source of many adventures, as John explained: “My then girlfriend and I travelled to Devon for a weeks holiday. The car ran like a dream, it took us 14 hours to get there and 12 hours coming home.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “I eventually sold it to another lad who worked in the same garage for, yes you guessed it £5.
“I then moved away and have know idea what or where the car ended up. But it was great fun.”
- 1 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 4 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 5 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 8 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 9 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 10 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
Share your memories of your first car, email firstname.lastname@example.org