Murder police arrest second man
VIDEO Police have arrested a second man, 48-year-old Steve Wright, in connection with the murder of five prostitutes in the Ipswich area and been granted an extra 36 hours to quiz first suspect Tom Stephens.
POLICE have arrested a second man in connection with the murder of five women in the Ipswich area.
The 48-year-old man, believed to be Steve Wright, was arrested in Ipswich's red light district at about 5am this morning.
Detectives were tonight given an extra 36 hours to quiz Tom Stephens, 37, from Trimley St Martin, who was arrested on Monday after an initial 12-hour extension expired.
Officers have sealed off a section of London Road, and forensic teams are working inside Number 79.
You may also want to watch:
A dark blue Ford Mondeo was taken away on a transporter, and this afternoon workers began putting up scaffolding outside the house.
At a brief press conference this morning Detective Chief Superintendent Stewart Gull said the man had been arrested on suspicion of the murder of all five women - Tania Nicol, 19, Gemma Adams, 25, Anneli Alderton, 24, Paula Clennell, 24, and Annette Nicholls, 29.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 4 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 9 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 10 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
This will allow detectives to continue to question him until about 7.20pm tonight.
Det Chf Supt Gull said: “A second man has today been arrested by detectives investigating the murder of five women in Suffolk.
“A 48-year-old man was arrested at his home address in Ipswich at approximately 5am this morning.
“He has been arrested on suspicion of murdering all five women - Gemma Adams, Tania Nicol, Annelie Alderton, Paula Clenell and Annette Nicholls.
“The man is currently in custody at a police station in Suffolk where he will be questioned about the deaths later today.
“Police will not be naming the police station where the man is being held.”
He said: "Police will not confirm or deny the identity of the people in custody as legal proceedings are active.
"There will be no further comment or appeals at this stage."