Murder probe launched in Essex
A MURDER investigation has been launched after a 36-year-old Colchester man was stabbed to death. Police were called to a house in Nathan Court at about 6pm last night where the victim was suffering from a stab wound.
A BRAVE neighbour of a man who was fatally stabbed has told of his desperate attempts to save him.
Essex Police have launched a murder investigation after Marcus Witham was attacked at his home in Colchester.
Officers were called to Nathan Court in the Blackheath area of town at about 6pm on Wednesday following a dispute.
They discovered Mr Witham, 36, lying outside his home he shared with his girlfriend, Tammy Fletcher.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Witham was taken to Colchester General Hospital but was declared dead shortly afterwards.
Yesterday his neighbour, Darryl Noe, described how he and his girlfriend, Karla Hood, had been at home when Miss Fletcher knocked on the window asking them to call for an ambulance.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
He said: “She was a bit non compos mentis as they say, and when I went outside Marcus was laying on the grass.
“He was still alive and he was screaming, saying he was going to die, and I tried to find the actual wound but it was very dark.
“I tried to get towels underneath his back and then the police turned up and we put towels over him to keep him warm.
“When we tried to roll him on to his side we found the wound.”
Mr Noe, 28, said he had been left shocked by the experience. “You go a bit numb at the time, but something takes over and you try to do the best you can.
“He was a nice bloke - friendly enough,” he said.
Last night Mr Witham's aunt, Margaret Witham, who also lives in Colchester, said she had been shocked to hear the news.
She added she had not heard from Mr Witham's parents and was expecting a call.
“They are very upset. It is a terrible shock. We are just waiting for someone to ring with some information.
“I'm afraid there is not a lot I can say about him, I haven't seen him for a long time,” she said.
She added she understood Mr Witham was Colchester born-and-bred.
A post mortem was carried out yesterday and the results are expected to be announced today.
Anyone with information about the attack should call Essex Police's major investigation team on 01206 762122.
n A 35-year-old woman and an 18-year-old man have been arrested on suspicion of murder and were being questioned by detectives last night.