Murder trial set to start tomorrow

THE murder trial of war games enthusiast alleged to have stabbed to death a Stowmarket man will begin tomorrow.

THE murder trial of war games enthusiast alleged to have stabbed to death a Stowmarket man will begin tomorrow.

David Marcel Heiss is said to have been obsessed with the victim Matthew Pyke's girlfriend 20-year-old Joanne Witton.

Heiss, of Dauborn, Germany, denies murder.

Today at Nottingham Crown Court the jury for the trial were sworn in before the case was adjourned until tomorrow for the prosecutions opening by Shaun Smith QC.

You may also want to watch:

As they prepared to take the oath Mr Justice Keith told the jury pool of Heiss' alleged fixation with Miss Witton.

He said: “He is alleged to have killed the boyfriend of a girl who the prosecution say he was obsessed with after they had been in contact through a war games internet website.”

Most Read

Heiss, who was dressed in a grey sweatshirt and beige trousers, looked on as the jury of five men and seven women were chosen.

The 21-year-old is accused of carrying out an attack on Mr Pyke on September 19 last year, at the flat he shared with Miss Witton.

The body of the former Combs Middle School and Stowmarket High School student was found at their flat above the Orange Tree Bar in Nottingham's North Sherwood Street.

Heiss who speaks English, has been provided with an interpreter to assist him during the trial if he fails to understand any part of the proceedings. The case is due to last eight days.

Relatives of Mr Pyke were in court today.

Mr Pyke's mother Kim, of Chelsworth Way, Stowmarket, was accompanied by his brother, sister and brother in law.

Heiss' family were not in court.

The witnesses who will give evidence during the trial will all come from outside Nottingham. They will include two men from Suffolk.

Heiss will be represented by Trevor Burke QC.

Heiss was arrested in Germany several days after Mr Pyke's death. He worked at the offices of textile company Dystar in Frankfurt, around 75 kilometres from his home village.

Mr Pyke had moved to Nottingham around two years before his death.

He was due to start a course at Nottingham Trent University in October last year.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus