Murderer loses appeal against conviction
A PUB raider jailed for life over his role in a robbery which ended in the “barbaric” murder of a barmaid has failed in his attempt to clear his name. Leon Sobers and Damien Duberry were each jailed for life for the raid on Harleys pub in Stoke Park Drive, Ipswich, in December 2000 which culminated in the death of 38-year-old Janet Fleming.
A PUB raider jailed for life over his role in a robbery which ended in the “barbaric” murder of a barmaid has failed in his attempt to clear his name.
Leon Sobers and Damien Duberry were each jailed for life for the raid on Harleys pub in Stoke Park Drive, Ipswich, in December 2000 which culminated in the death of 38-year-old Janet Fleming.
Both were convicted at Norwich Crown Court in October 2001 of robbery and murder, receiving double life prison sentences.
Sobers, 25, of Birkfield Drive, Ipswich, appealed against his murder conviction on the basis he had no direct involvement in Miss Fleming's murder, which was carried out by Duberry.
You may also want to watch:
But his appeal was dismissed yesterday by Lord Justice Longmore, who ruled Sobers' conviction had been “safe”.
Miss Fleming died from head wounds after returning to the pub soon after closing-time on December 10, 2000.
Most Read
- 1 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 4 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 5 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 6 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 7 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 8 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 9 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 10 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
She was ambushed by Duberry, who bludgeoned her with a pistol before “kicking and stamping” on her as she lay helpless on the ground.
Sobers' counsel, Nigel Lithman QC, told the Appeal Court in London Duberry's attack as “barbaric and outlandish”, but argued Sobers had not been directly implicated in the killing as he had been inside the pub at the time.
The Appeal Court heard Sobers had been inside the pub clearing out the £2,800 contents of its safe when Duberry had gone outside to tackle Miss Fleming as she returned to the premises.
The prosecution claimed the robbery had been intricately planned, with Sobers targeting the safe and Duberry acting as look-out.
Sobers was charged with murder on the basis the killing was a “joint enterprise” between the two men - both having planned the raid knowing anyone who intervened might be subject to violence.
Lord Justice Longmore said there was clear evidence of joint enterprise and added Sobers could have foreseen the consequences of his participation in the raid.
Speaking after the hearing, Detective Chief Inspector Tim Beach, of Suffolk police, said: “It is gratifying that the court of appeal has upheld the careful judgement of Mr Justice Moses.
“Perhaps Miss Fleming's mother, Frida Fleming, and her daughter Naomi can both be allowed to move on now.”