Needham Market: Carla’s 116lb catfish catch
IMAGINE reeling in this huge catfish on your first-ever fishing trip.
That’s what happened to council worker Carla Filby when she and partner Tom went to Spain recently.
Miss Filby, 29, from Needham Market, said she had never been interested in fishing before but after seeing the specially-designed river resort in Mequinenza on television, agreed to go with the aim of soaking up the sun.
And after catching an 88lb catfish on her first day, she quickly caught the bug and instead of sun worshipping, she was out until midnight every day, finally netting the monster 116lb specimen on the last morning.
She said: “I had never, ever held a rod before. It was quite scary, especially when the alarm went off. It was caught on the last morning we were there.
You may also want to watch:
“It did fight a lot and it was a case of ‘hold on and go with it’. Hopefully we can go again, maybe next year.
“Next time, though, I’ll pack a few more old clothes because I’ve never seen that much slime before in my life – it was disgusting.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 3 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 4 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 A&E under pressure as patient levels return to pre-pandemic levels
- 9 Ipswich to face army of familiar faces as Town draw U's in EFL Trophy
- 10 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
“I would recommend catfishing to anyone, although I don’t know if I could be happy with catching anything under 25lbs now the standard has been set, so sitting on a muddy bank in the rain in England doesn’t seem very appealing.”