Needham Market: Chance to examine railway crossing proposals for Gypsy Lane
- Credit: Bill Smith - Archant
People will have the chance to examine proposals to improve safety for pedestrians when crossing a railway line.
Network Rail has called a public meeting to present proposals to close the existing Gipsy Lane level crossing in Needham Market.
The Rail Accident Investigation Branch has recommended the crossing for closure since July last year after a fatal accident when a pedestrian was struck by a train in 2011.
Earlier in the year proposals to shut Gipsy Lane and create an underpass at the temporarily-closed Willow Walk crossing were put forward.
But now, town clerk for Needham Market Town Council, Kevin Hunter, believes Network Rail is looking to introduce an overpass at the Gipsy Lane crossing.
You may also want to watch:
“The footbridge over Gipsy Lane would address the issues the public has about the access to Footpath Six (Willow Walk crossing),” he said.
“It should be more positive and the Gipsy Lane crossing is the most popular spot to cross. We are hoping that this is the way forward. The only issue we can see is access for people with mobility issues and the maintenance of it.”
- 1 Police confirm body found in River Orwell was of a 17-year-old boy
- 2 Body found in the River Orwell
- 3 Could any released Bristol City players reunite with Ashton at Ipswich?
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'eye' Sheffield Wednesday midfielder
- 5 Exit Interview: Nydam showed 'heart, desire and hunger' but was never able to take the next step
- 6 Town looking into Portman Road safe standing area ahead of new season
- 7 Wrong way A12 driver flees scene after causing crash
- 8 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 9 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 10 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
Network Rail has been working with Suffolk County Council, which is responsible for rights of way, to close Gipsy Lane.
A spokesman for Network Rail said: “Network Rail, working with Suffolk County Council, has been looking into a number of options to allow for the permanent closure of Gipsy Lane level crossing and a level crossing at the northern end of Needham Market.
“At the public meeting we will present our proposals and invite local people to come along and find out more about our plans.”
The meeting will take place in Needham Market Community Centre, on Wednesday, at 6.30pm.