Needham Market: New appeal one week after lake body find
ONE week on from a woman’s murder, police have returned to the lake where her body was found as they attempt to piece together the moments leading up to her death.
Officers investigating the death of 60-year-old Ruth Jacobs, spoke to dozens of people at Needham Lake overnight.
Mrs Jacobs, who lived in Ipswich, was found near the lake in Coddenham Road, Needham Market, at just before 8am on Sunday February 20.
Six hours later officers arrested a 58-year-old man, also from Ipswich, 30 miles away at Wissett Lake.
He was held on suspicion of murder but has since been detained under Section 2 of the Mental Health Act and is no longer in police custody.
You may also want to watch:
A post mortem examination has shown Mrs Jacobs died as a result of drowning.
Detectives arrived at the lake, a beauty spot in mid Suffolk popular with dog walkers, yesterday evening at 5pm and remained there until early this morning, speaking to 36 people.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 4 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 5 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 6 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 7 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 8 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 9 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm
- 10 Busy high street taped off by police
Officers asked a series of questions, with people also given the opportunity to sit down and talk in a police pod that was set up in the lake’s car park.
Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Constable Inspector John Brocklebank, said: “This investigation is still in its early stages so it’s important that we capture as much information from the public as we can.
“We’re grateful for those who took time out to speak to us on Saturday evening and Sunday night. We’ll now review what we have been given, but we continue to ask those who think they can still help us to contact us.”
Detectives still want to speak to anyone who was in the area of Needham Lake between 4pm on Saturday February 19 and 8am on Sunday February 20, particularly in the early hours of Sunday morning, and anyone who was at Wissett Lake between these hours.
Anyone with any information should call the Norfolk and Suffolk Joint Major Investigation Team at Police Headquarters on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.