New Claudia 'stalker' fears

A CANADIAN accused of stalking supermodel Claudia Schiffer is due to be deported for targeting her mansion for the second time in three months.Security around the star's home at Coldham Hall near Bury St Edmunds was tight last night after the fan entered the grounds and demanded to see the German model.

A CANADIAN accused of stalking supermodel Claudia Schiffer is due to be deported for targeting her mansion for the second time in three months.

Security around the star's home at Coldham Hall near Bury St Edmunds was tight last night after the fan entered the grounds and demanded to see the German model.

Detectives arrested Louis Brisette,21, for illegally entering the country and yesterdaya spokesman for Suffolk police said he would be removed from the country.

In March Brisette was deported after calling at her home on several occasions despite repeated warnings and a formal caution from police. Brisette also left notes for the 33-year-old when told she was not available.


You may also want to watch:


Local magistrates dropped a harassment case against the Canadian shortly before he was sent home by immigration officials.

Home Office chiefs yesterdayrefused to comment on how Brisette got into the UK and back to Coldham Hall. A spokesman said he was unable to comment on individual cases.

Most Read

But it is thought that Brisette was somehow incorrectly issued a plane ticket allowing him to return to England.

The Suffolk police spokesman said Brisette, who lives in Quebec, called at Coldham Hall in Stanningfield, at about 3.15pm on Tuesday.

Concerned staff at the 16th century mansion phoned the police and officers were drafted in to search the area. Brisette was arrested an hour later near Stanningfield Post Office, about four miles from the mansion.

A police spokesman said: "We can confirm police were called to an address in Stanningfield following reports of harassment.

"A man was later arrested on suspicion of entering the country illegally and he has been handed to immigration."

It is believed Ms Schiffer, her film producer husband Matthew Vaughan and their 16-month-old son Casparwere all abroad at the time of the incident and the family were unavailable for comment last night .

But a spokeswoman for the supermodel confirmed the mansion had once again been targeted by a stalker on Tuesday.

In March, Brisette appeared before magistrates in Bury to answer charges that he harassed Ms Schiffer.

The court heard he had been seen in the vicinity of the mansion several times and had left the supermodel letters and a note.

It is believed the Canadian, who is said to want to become a model himself, had repeatedly called at Schiffer's home to ask for tips on his career.

It is not the first time Ms Schiffer has received unwanted attention from so-called fans visiting Coldham Hall.

In 2002, Italian chef Agostino Pomata was sectioned under the Mental Health Act when facing similar charges of harassment.

Ms Schiffer, who was pregnant at the time, was said to be too frightened to stay in the house alone as a result of Pomata's actions.

The stalker, who worked at a café in Bury, made nine visits to Coldham Hall and had previously been found trying to break in to Prince Charles' country home, Highgrove, in Gloucestershire. He was also stopped by police close to Princess Anne's Gatcombe Park home.

The current case has led to speculation within the local community that the famous couple might want to divert a footpath running down their drive and almost to Coldham Hall's front door.

Neighbour Christine Smith said: "Nobody deserves to be stalked irrespective of what they do or who they are and I am sympathetic towards her.

"But the footpath is quite a popular route and has been there for a lot of years and I don't think this incident warrants it being closed."

A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said: "Anyone can apply to have a right of way or footpath diverted or deleted. Likewise, anyone can also object to any such application.

"The application would have to be lodged with St Edmundsbury Borough Council while the county council would have to be consulted as well. But it has to be in the public interest to get something done."

A spokesman for St Edmundsbury said no application to have the footpath shifted or removed had been received.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter