New era dawns at UCS
A new era has dawned at University Campus Suffolk (UCS) as education bosses unveiled the second phase of development at the site.
THE dawn of a new era has come at University Campus Suffolk (UCS) as education bosses unveiled the second phase of development at the site.
The next stage of progress at the Ipswich Waterfront campus will see a new academic building open offering students state-of-the-art facilities including a range of scientific laboratories.
As well as the teaching space, students will be able to enjoy a new ground-floor cafe and students' union, run by the students at the building, which is 300 metres south of the flagship Waterfront campus.
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday, to celebrate the completion of the highest point of the new academic building, staff at UCS, representatives from the architects and builders climbed up seven floors, enjoying the panoramic views of Ipswich in the glorious sunshine, to perform the topping-out ceremony.
The tradition, which goes back hundreds of years, was performed by Sarah Meelan, director of human resources and in charge of campus development at UCS, five weeks ahead of schedule.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Busy high street taped off by police
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 8 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 9 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
She said: “It has been a fantastic achievement on so many levels. Not only do we have a new building being built with the support of public funding, we are part of the continuing development of Ipswich's Waterfront. It is just amazing to see the changes in recent years.
“The students are really excited about the developments. It is vital for Suffolk to provide high-quality education. It not only draws people in from outside the area but encourages people in Suffolk to aspire to take on further education.”
The new academic building and facilities will open ready for students to enjoy in January 2011.