New events arena for Felixstowe is unveiled
- Credit: Archant
Computer-generated images have been produced to show how an eyesore seafront site will be transformed into a new events arena.
The old boating lake in Sea Road, Felixstowe, has stood unused for some years and been the subject of much criticism from residents and community leaders.
Now Suffolk Coastal council has agreed plans to redevelop the site and awarded the contract to Kier Construction Ltd, who will start on the project next month with work due to be completed during the summer.
The scheme will see the boating lake and old go-kart track alongside, which itself was once part of the lake when it was twice the size, to be filled in to create additional car parking for 36 cars.
It will be a mix of grassed open space and hard standing and the area will serve as a multi-use events space that will function as a car park and picnic area when not required for events.
You may also want to watch:
It is anticipated that the events area could attract fairs, markets and exhibitions to support Felixstowe’s economy.
TJ Haworth-Culf, cabinet member for customers, communities and leisure, said: “This is a prime location on Felixstowe’s seafront and it’s a shame that the area has been left vacant for this length of time.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 7 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
- 10 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
“I’m pleased that the works will soon bring this site in line with a number of newly completed projects in Felixstowe and will further help to boost tourism in the town.
“We hope the space will be an attractive and flexible area, suitable for a range of different events and encourage more events to take place on the seafront.”
The boating lake was created in the early part of the 20th Century and enjoyed for many years by families sailing model boats, and later other water-based activities.