New head boy and girl elected at Thomas Gainsborough School, near Sudbury
- Credit: Archant
The new head boy and girl at a Great Cornard secondary school have spoken about their hopes of creating a legacy for future students.
Sixth form students Connor Palmer, 17, and Francesca Perkins-Taylor, 16, want to use their new position at Thomas Gainsborough School to support current students as well as instigate further improvements at the sixth form.
Connor, from Kedington, who is studying geography, biology and chemistry at A-level, said: “I put myself forward because I wanted to give something back after the school has helped me a lot. I also wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.
“I want to use the role to create an even nicer working and studying environment and I am now looking forward to my role as head boy.”
Francesca, from Lavenham, takes up the role as head girl alongside studying for A-Levels in maths, philosophy and history.
She said: “I think the role is quite prestigious and what really appealed to me was the chance to create a legacy for future sixth form students.
“I want to help create even stronger links between the sixth form and the rest of the school as well as the wider community.”
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 3 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 8 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 9 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 10 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
Kenny Alexander, director of sixth form, said: “At Thomas Gainsborough School, we believe it is important to have role models and these roles are a great way of providing peer-to-peer support for those students who might need it.
“We had a very strong list of candidates and we are delighted to have Connor and Francesca as head boy and head girl respectively.
“Both are approachable and bring a freshness to the role and we know they will make a strong impact to the sixth form and the wider school community.”