Oval racing returns to Foxhall again for 2019 as the new season opens this Saturday
- Credit: Archant
The 58th season of Spedeworth Oval motor sport at Foxhall Stadium, Ipswich returns this Saturday night – and with a bang, writes Dean Cox.
A fantastic-looking season opener features a triple formula fest of top class Oval action with Round 2 of the hugely popular National Unlimited Banger World Series leading the way, as 61 drivers head into town to compete and, hopefully, qualify at what will be their World Championship venue later this year.
Banger Fans are spoilt for choice in what really is a quality line-up that includes former World Champions Jack Overy, Dale Hughes and current World Champion, Carl Korszeuski, plus a host of other stars.
Local hopes will be with Ipswich’s Lewis Canham and as usual the action is sure to be frenetic, competitive and combative, the bangers always very popular.
Joining the National Bangers at Foxhall on Saturday night are the ultra-competitive 2.0Ltr Hot Rods who are competing in Round 2 of their Hoosier Racing Tires Series.
You may also want to watch:
A superb 35 of the best there is in this formula are booked to appear in Ipswich, including multi-champion Dan Smith, Paul Wright, Gavin Botfield, World Champion Damon Wellman - plus the debut of Ipswich’s own Jack Barnes who is one of Carl Boardley’s British Touring Car mechanics and engineer of many National Hot Rods.
To complete a full night of motor sport action, Foxhall Stadium also has a visit from the popular Superstox who are another formula competing in Round 2 of their Hoosier Tyres Series.
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 6 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 7 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 8 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
There are 23 drivers booked to appear, including Nick Roots who may be debuting an incredible state of the art car that recently won best in show awards.
Local Driver Alex Meadows also returns to the formula after a two-year break so it will be interesting to see how he fares.
Racing at the Stadium is at the new start time of 6.30pm and turnstiles open at 5.15pm.
Facilities include two fully seated grandstands along the back straight, a grandstand for those who are disabled or have special needs and renowned catering facilities.