Police officer ‘coughed at’ after responding to attempted robbery
- Credit: Archant
A woman has been charged after a police officer was allegedly coughed at while responding to reports that robbers attempted to take a bag from a teenager.
Officers were called at around 6.30am on Thursday, May 28 to reports of an attempted robbery in The Avenue, near to the junction with High Street in Newmarket.
It is alleged that a 19-year-old woman was walking along the road when another woman grabbed her bag which was across her shoulder.
A brief struggle ensued and the victim fell to the floor, but she managed to keep hold of the bag and get away from the offender.
Following initial enquiries a suspect was identified and an attempt was made to arrest a woman in Fred Archer Way, later the same morning at 9.50am.
You may also want to watch:
During the course of the arrest an officer was allegedly coughed at by an individual who said they had coronavirus.
Saskia Francis, 39, of New Cheveley Road, Newmarket, was arrested and was later taken to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
- 1 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 2 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 3 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 4 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 8 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 9 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 10 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
She was subsequently charged with attempted robbery and assault on a police officer.
Francis appeared before Ipswich Magistrates’ Court on Friday, May 29 and was remanded in custody pending a next hearing at Ipswich Crown Court on Friday, June 26.