Newmarket: Police in bid to trace pair who targeted woman in 80s in distraction burglary
- Credit: Archant
A woman in her 80s targeted in a distraction burglary handed over more than £100 to two men.
Police have released an e-fit of a man involved in the incident in Heathbell Road, Newmarket, between 2pm and 4pm on June 19.
The victim, a woman in her 80s, answered the door to a man who told her that three of the paving slabs in her path needed relaying as they were dangerous, which she reluctantly agreed to have done for a price of £75. He was accompanied by a second man.
After a short while the second man informed the victim that more work needed to be done and would cost twice as much. The victim refused this and then noticed that they had taken up half her path and told them to put it back.
A few minutes later the second man called at the door again and when the victim opened it he walked straight past her, uninvited, into the kitchen. The first man followed behind into the hallway.
You may also want to watch:
The second man then asked about the money and they took £75 which the victim had put in the hall. He then said she owed them another £65 and feeling intimidated the victim emptied her purse and they took a further £30 from her and left.
The E-fit image relates to the second man. He is described as being very tanned, aged in his twenties, 6ft 4in tall, well-built, with short dark hair. He was wearing a blue short sleeved t-shirt, jeans and white trainers.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 9 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 10 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
The first man is described as being 50-60 years old, with white hair and a white beard. Police believe the car the men were using to have been a blue Ford Focus C-Max.
Call police on 101 to help.