Officers searching for missing schoolgirls
A POLICE hunt has been launched to locate two missing Suffolk school girls.
POLICE were last night preparing to step up their hunt to locate two missing Suffolk school girls.
Officers say they are becoming increasingly concerned for the welfare of two teenage girls from Sudbury and Great Cornard who have not been in contact with their families since disappearing from school two days ago.
Lauren Abbott, 14, and Paige Briers, 15, were last seen on Wednesday morning and a search is widening to locate them.
Paige was dropped off at school in Great Cornard but did not stay for classes. It is thought she returned to her Sudbury home but has not been seen since.
Lauren was last seen at break time, after which she went back to her home in Great Cornard to collect a bag.
- 1 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 2 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 3 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 4 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 5 Town take up option on Tyreece Simpson... plus two other youngsters update
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 7 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 8 Suffolk celebrates! Full list of county's 185 street parties for the Queen's jubilee
- 9 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 10 Dog walker in his 70s suffers cuts and bruises after attack in west Suffolk
A police spokeswoman said: “Whilst Paige has gone missing before, it is out of character for Lauren to go missing in this way and their families are anxious to know their whereabouts.”
Lauren is described as of mixed race, of slim build with brown eyes. She was last seen wearing her school uniform of a blue polo shirt and dark trousers, although she appears to have taken a change of clothes with her.
Paige is described as white, 5 ft 5 ins tall, of slim build with black shoulder length hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a blue school t-shirt, black trousers and white trainers, although she too appears to have taken a change of clothes. Paige has piercings in her tongue and ears and took a large rucksack with her.
It is believed the girls may be camping in the Sudbury or Halstead areas, or may have travelled to London.
Last night friends of the girls were expressing their concern on an internet Facebook group set up by Lauren's aunt Liz to help the search effort.
Rebecca Griffith wrote: “Me and Lauren are close friends, if there is anything I can do to help. I just want her home safe. It's not the same without her.”
Anyone who has seen Lauren or Paige or who has been in contact with them should call Sudbury Police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.