Watch these adorable otter pups learning how to swim
- Credit: Archant
Four one-month-old otters get shown how to swim for the first time.
Colchester Zoo is home to four smooth-coated otter pups who are only a month old.
For the first few weeks the pups stayed in their underground den until their eyes opened.
But since then they have been spending more time above ground and as you can see from our video experienced their first swimming lesson.
The otters are taught by being picked up by the scruff of the neck and dunked into the water, this may been a little rough but the pups are extremely buoyant and this is very natural behaviour.
You may also want to watch:
The smooth-coated otter is classified as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List 2004 due to the loss of suitable habitat.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 4 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash