Over-running problems on the main line
Over recent years over-running engineering works have become a familiar problem for travellers on the line to London
January 2, 2008: Tracks into Liverpool Street were due to reopen after a 10-day closure for major work over Christmas, but the engineering work seriously over-ran meaning trains could not run normally for several days. There were also problems in the Midlands and Glasgow – the ORR slapped a record £14million fine on Network Rail.
March 28, 2008: Over-running engineering work caused major delays for travellers at Shenfield.
January 4, 2010: Over-running New Year work at Stratford caused problems for workers returning to the capital for the first day after the festive break.
March 30, 2012: Over-running overhead line work at Stratford meant trains were unable to reach London – sparking fears of how the network might cope during the Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
January 14, 2013: Rush-hour trains between Shenfield and London were delayed after engineering on two of the tracks over-ran.
February 17, 2013: Early morning services were delayed after engineering work in the Shenfield area over-ran.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
March 5, 2014: Over-running engineering work at Diss delayed InterCity services to the capital.
May 19, 2014: Engineering works over-running at Colchester delay passengers again – on the first weekend of a seven-week programme of work at the Essex station.
August 11, 2014: Engineering work over-runs at Ipswich station. The work was finished almost two hours late, leading to cancellations and delays. Normal service was not resumed until late morning.
August 26, 2014: Another engineering over-run at Ipswich – this time by more than seven hours.