Pair rescued from homemade boat made of insulation boards off Essex coastline
- Credit: Archant
Clacton’s lifeboat crew were forced to rescue two amateur fisherman after they ran into difficulties in their homemade boat.
The two men, aged in their late 20s, launched their raft off the shore Jaywick’s Martello Beach Holiday Park, but got into trouble when their oars snapped.
Their boat was made of thermal insulation boards glued together with silicone adhesive.
Clacton RNLI’s D Class inshore lifeboat launched to the men’s aid following an emergency call to Thames Coastguard at 2.20pm yesterday.
Crewman Joff Strutt said: “They were found about 200 metres from the beach in their homemade boat.
You may also want to watch:
“They had been out fishing when their oars snapped leaving them helpless.
“The men were taken aboard the lifeboat and checked over before they were taken ashore to Clacton Coastguard for some safety advice.
- 1 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 2 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 3 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 4 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 7 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'
- 10 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
“The men are very lucky that they were spotted or things could have been a lot worse.
“Neither of the men had lifejackets on and one of them couldn’t swim
“It is very important that people use the correct equipment, including a seaworthy boat.
“They had made the boat at home and were out fishing in it on Sunday.
“They went back out on Monday, but soon the wind and current defeated them by snapping the oars.”
“Going to sea in homemade boat is certainly one we’ve never seen before.”
The men, both from the Clacton area, were cold after their ordeal but did not require medical assistance.
After the pair were rescued the lifeboat crew recovered their boat and equipment.
The boat was later destroyed.