Para killed in Taliban firefight
THE 10th Colchester-based soldier has been killed in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence confirmed tonight.
THE tenth Colchester-based soldier has been killed in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence confirmed tonight.
The soldier, from the 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment, was part of a routine patrol in Helmand Province which encountered Taliban forces this morning.
In the ensuing firefight the 2 Para soldier was shot in the head and killed instantly. Next-of-kin have been informed.
Task Force Helmand spokesman Lieutenant Colonel David Reynolds said: "Until you have experienced the death of a family member it is hard to absorb the pain that this soldier's family, friends and comrades feel.
You may also want to watch:
“His family are in the thoughts of everyone in Task Force Helmand and hopefully that will bring some comfort to them.”
Ten Colchester-based soldiers - eight of them Paras - have been killed in Afghanistan since the latest six month tour began.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 6 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 8 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!
- 9 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 10 Ipswich to face army of familiar faces as Town draw U's in EFL Trophy