Did you dare to try a skydive in the 1970s to 1990s?
- Credit: Archant
Have you ever dared to do a parachute jump - or cheered on a skydiving friend or family member?
Today we are looking back at parachute jumps at Ipswich Airport and around Suffolk and north Essex in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.
Often the skydivers were raising money for charity at these events, as well as enjoying themselves.
Some of the pictures in this Days Gone By gallery were taken at the former Ipswich Airport, where UK Parachuting, then known as Ipswich Parachute Centre, ran weekly jumps.
The airport also ran competitions with entrants keen to be crowned Suffolk’s best skydiver.
Ipswich Airport finally closed in 1997, and UK Parachuting now has a centre at Beccles Airfield.
If these skydive photos bring back memories, email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to: Judy Rimmer, Archant, Ip-City Centre, 1 Bath Street, Ipswich, IP2 8SD.
To order copies of photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 4 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 5 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 6 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 7 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 8 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 9 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 10 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case