Parrot saves family from house fire

A FATHER of two has told how the family's pet parrot saved their lives by raising the alarm as a fire ripped through their home.

A FATHER of two has told how the family's pet parrot saved their lives by raising the alarm as a fire ripped through their home.

Bob, an African grey, squawked frantically as the blaze spread through the Hall family home in Fair Oak, Hampshire, early yesterday morning.

His distressed cries woke Francis Hall and his two sons, Sam and Trevor, who managed to flee the burning property after grabbing Bob's cage.

The trio needed treatment for smoke inhalation, while the hero parrot survived the drama with barely a feather out of place.


You may also want to watch:


Mr Hall, 59, said he now plans to get Bob some new toys and find him a mate to reward the brave bird, while Sam, 18, called the parrot “a legend”.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter