Peace campaigner stage base protest
SCORES of peace campaigners yesterday gathered outside an American airbase as part of a demonstration against nuclear weapons.About 70 demonstrators braved the rain to set up camp outside RAF Lakenheath, where the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) staged a protest against the US arsenal stored at Lakenheath.
SCORES of peace campaigners yesterday gathered outside an American airbase as part of a demonstration against nuclear weapons.
About 70 demonstrators braved the rain to set up camp outside RAF Lakenheath, where the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) staged a protest against the US arsenal stored at Lakenheath.
The rally was addressed by CND chairman Kate Hudson and the MP for Islington North, Jeremy Corbyn.
Eastern region CND co-ordinator Mell Harrison said: “There were about 200 people, maybe more. We've been here through the rain, the thunder and the lightning and everything went as planned. It just goes to show the strength of feeling people have.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Police said the event was entirely peaceful with no incidents being reported. The Suffolk force deployed a handful of officers to assist Ministry of Defence Police at the base.
Nobody from RAF Lakenheath was yesterday available for comment.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 5 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 6 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 7 Crash between two motorbikes
- 8 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 9 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 10 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
Yesterday's rally came a month after a peace camp outside RAF Mildenhall, in which demonstrators spent two weeks protesting against US flights refuelling on British soil en-route to Israel, was stood down.