Pensioner dies in invalid car plunge
By Annie DavidsonAN elderly woman has died after her motorised invalid carriage plunged 20ft down a flight of concrete steps and on to a town's beach.
By Annie Davidson
AN elderly woman has died after her motorised invalid carriage plunged 20ft down a flight of concrete steps and on to a town's beach.
Eileen Grellier, 85, of Holland-on-Sea, was riding the carriage along the promenade below Marine Parade East in Clacton when the accident happened yesterday.
Emergency services were called at 11.17am to the scene, close to the junction with The Chase. The pensioner was airlifted to Colchester General Hospital by the Essex Air Ambulance, but was certified dead on arrival.
You may also want to watch:
An Essex Police spokesman said the exact circumstances of the accident were unclear and it was not known if there were witnesses.
“She appears to have been riding the motorised invalid carriage along a promenade with a dog,” he added.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 6 Ndaba on Salford, Neville's advice, his brush with Ronaldo-mania and his goal of reaching the Ipswich Town first-team
- 7 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 8 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 9 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 10 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
“The invalid carriage fell about 20ft down a flight of concrete steps and on to the beach. The lady was certified dead at hospital.”
Essex Police said the dog was unhurt and was being cared for. Anyone who witnessed the accident should contact Pc Kelvin Westall, of Stanway traffic police, on 01206 762512.
n An elderly woman who was injured in a car crash more than a month ago has died in hospital.
Hilda Harding, 86, of Lydia Drive, St Osyth, was a passenger in a Nissan Micra driven by her 83-year-old husband.
Their vehicle collided with a Renault Laguna in Wivenhoe on the B1027 Brightlingsea road at its junction with Elmstead Road on November 18.
A post-mortem examination revealed Mrs Harding had died of pneumonia. Her husband suffered minor injuries in the accident.